Friday, May 17, 2013

More cleanup

The floor has measles! Its just Corroseal, which converts
surface corrosion to magenetite.
Now the floor is as sealed as I can
get it before loading carpet in.
Well, I'm away from work for three days for work and non work related excuses. But I got some nice stuff finished, and wanted to share:

I spent a lot of time scrubbing the cab floor down to wear off the majority of the rust where it had become a problem around the seat hold down fittings. Plus nicks and spots all over. Since these problems are still small, I want to address them now rather than having to weld later. That and I want the mess sorted before I put the interior in.

I also took seriously the need to use a self-catalyzing primer on the rusty stamped belly pan. I'm not especially concerned about making it pretty, just durable. If it looks good too, that's just a bonus.

In the case of the stamped pan, it would have difficult to make it worse. And I got to use up some old paint, too.

The top and the bottom of the pan needed primer and top coat. I didn't need to spend extra money on new paint, so I re-used some old lacquer based paint to topcoat with. Why not? It is never going to be seen unless the pans are off for maintenance.

This gives me a nice tough underbelly to protect the gasoline fired heater with. (This is assuming I keep it. I may not, since the earlier heat exchangers that I am retrofitting in should completely remove the need for augmented heating. But I'm keeping my options open.
Bottom, covered with primer and undercoat.

Not surprisingly, I'm quite pleased by this. Because these two items are so toughened, they can go out in the weather now and stay there instead of taking up space in my garage. Which is yet more swing space for me to work inside.

The bottom of the splash pan is an almost
flat black rhino hide.
The forthcoming matters of urgency are these: 

  • I want the upholsterly off to the trimmer, but we are still negotiating price and products.
  • I am at a stand still with the engine, since I didn't want to start taking it apart until I had all of the pieces to put it back together. Many of these are the tins that are compatible with the older heat exchangers that I am using. If the purpose is to make this engine run, as long as the tins may be installed after installation, then this should not be allowed to be blocking.
  • All of the fixed window stampings have been cleaned up, de-rusted and then re-sealed. So it is time to buy gaskets to reinstall the side windows.
  • Reinstall fuel tank and filler, which I have neglected because the tank, when completely hooked up, is paralyzed in place, shot through with restraints at five different places (filler, output, return, and two vents.)
  • Reinstall the fuel loop including fuel pump, filter and inlet side of loop.
  • Reinstall the firewall.
  • Reinstall the ECU and the 'paint can lid' access panel.
  • The inside of the front splash pan looks
    foppish in the metalized paint.
  • Remove the Throttle valve assembly and clean it up to the best of my ability.
The reason for the increasing urgency is the show season is upon me. Not that I expect to get the bus running by show season. Ha! Not at this rate! But certainly I want to know what parts I need to source so that I can be on the prowl for them at swap meets.

No comments: