Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Tanks for the laughs

Three big jumps forward, despite being sick as a dog for four days.

The first kicker is that the fuel tank is finished up. As in, all of the parts necessary to reinstall are at hand and test fitted.

All parts in place, and easily visualized into place.
VW part on right, replacement Mercedes part on left.
This includes a very special part, that hose junction between the metal filler and the tank. The original is NLA, and back in 2007/2008, some German Bulli (Bus) enthusiasts came up with a solution: A replacement part made by Mercedes for the 2003 Sprinter: part 9014760026 

In 2010, a member of that German forum posted the solution on thesamba.com here in the USA. 

In turn, I did the legwork to run down the Dodge part # that it is commonly sold under here in the States. So now anyone who needs a replacement can buy this Dodge part 5119668AA  for $14 (at the time of this writing) from their Dodge Dealer.


I finished the fuel tank by finally getting the sender into place. Be warned: Dealing with vendors in a shrinking market can be dicey. VW vendors have always been a different breed, but sometimes it can get downright nauseating.

Ordered from B. (Names contracted to protect the careless) six weeks ago and shipment arrived without my fuel sender. I didn't note the lack until 4 weeks later. Called B. and was told it was back ordered and that it would be there shortly and that I hadn't been charged for it. (That's nice. But why wasn't the backorder notated on the shipping manifest? Do you regularly leave stuff out and fail to mention it? B. FAIL 1)

So I sat for shortly (a week, which I think counts for at least three 'shortlies.') and then woofed again. ("Its on its way to you!" B. FAIL 2. I shouldn't have to be chasing them.) The next day a package arrives from the Manufacturer, drop shipped to me. Overnight. So evidently the back order fell behind someone's desk at B., and when I called again, that was their reminder to deal with it. Now it's a crisis, and costs B. extra money to have the Manufacturer (which we'll call V.) overnight the part to me.

Except...they've sent the wrong part. (V. Fail 1.) Now how do we deal with it? I wrote to B. on May 2nd, what I consider to be a *very* tolerant letter, under the circumstances. Let's just get it fixed. Two days later, there is not even an acknowledgement that I've communicated. (B. Fail 3.)

So I call again, now pretty put out. I'm told they have to see how V. wants to handle it. (B. Fail 4. I'm the ruddy customer and you're the seller. You sold it to me...you handle it!)

Six days later, I send another email, this one stating the nature of the problem again, and using the word 'frustrated' at least once in all 5 paragraphs. (Frustrated is a good word. It describes your state of mind without a referent, e.g. you don't say who you are frustrated with. You just make it obliquely clear that you'd better not decide it is them that you are frustrated with, or they won't be worth a plug nickel. It is enough of a warning shot that it gives them time to whip up the crisis management horses and glue together a solution to keep you from decided that THEY are what is frustrating you.)

I sent this carefully calibrated message off (B. Fail 5. Why am I begging them to talk to me?) and 90 minutes later I have a message back saying that they have re-ordered the part from V. and I should have it tomorrow.

2 hours after that, the FedEx truck arrives with a part from California. Wait for it. Right. That was the right part. That was originally requested by B. on May 2nd for V. to ship to me to replace the wrong part. Now that I've got the right part, I'm about to get another 'right part' from B. again, tomorrow and there is no stopping it. (B. Fail 6.)

Today, I have one right part (installed,) one wrong part, and one still boxed right part. And instructions from B. to send wrong part, and boxed right part back to them. (B. Fail....oh, nevermind.)

I suppose I should be grateful they're not making ME pay shipping. For the record, B. is one of the top vendors for 'good customer service.' M'gawsh, I'm terrified.

No comments: